Diamonds are forever, however here are some missteps to avoid when purchasing an engagement ring for your beloved.
Some tips and advice on purchasing, and caring for your engagement and wedding bands from Tom Anderko, owner, and diamond ring specialist at 85 year old Musselman Jewelers of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
· Is your ring going to be resized more than a half size? It's prudent to think again before you have a jewelry store resize your ring, from a 6 1/2 to a 7 for instance. Your diamonds or other precious stones may pop out not only once, but repeatedly, if the band is compromised due to over-resizing.
· A Pave’ ring setting should be custom made and fitted to your finger.
· If you wear your ring every day, be sure to have your ring checked every four to six months at a reputable jeweler for general wear and tear.
· If you forget to take off your rings, and you accidentally bash or bang it while doing house or yard work, be sure to take your ring to get checked at a jeweler as well.
· If you wear two rings as a set, be sure to alternate the way you wear the engagement and wedding bands to increase the life of your jewelry.
· Common gardening and household products, from soaps, perfumes, shampoos, detergents, can wear on the gold, silver or other metals in the band. White gold and gold is actually soft, particularly 18 karat gold.
· Musselman Jewelers recommends using Dawn (be sure to use the blue original formula Dawn, not the antibacterial) or Palmolive Oxy and a soft brush. Musselman Jewelers does not recommend commercial jewelry cleaners.
· Don’t wear your rings all day, every day. Do establish a safe, beautiful place to stow your rings when you arrive home to make dinner, relax, etc. Also, don’t exercise, sweat, or wear your rings to the gym with your rings on.
· It’s best not to swim, shower, or sleep in your jewelry, earrings, necklaces, or bracelets, as the chains can easily break and become discolored. Jewelry is special, and its value should be enjoyed and worn to be appreciated.
· Be sure your homeowners insurance policy covers your new purchases, just in case. However,do be wary if a store insists that you also purchase a store insurance policy for your ring.
· Considering purchasing an engagement ring online? Once again, think again, as many online purchases may not be what they are advertised to be.
Musselman Jewelers located at 550 Main Street, Bethlehem, Pa., in the heart of the Lehigh Valley, has all your wedding needs, from a wide assortment of engagement rings and
wedding bands in a variety of precious metals to unique custom designs which are our specialty.
Musselman Jewelers, serving The Historic Bethlehem Area for nearly 85 years, provides exceptional
quality and great customer-friendly service. Our personnel has diamond certification through
GIA (Gemological Institute of America) and extensive training through IJO (Independent Jewelers
Organization), the largest jewelry-buying group in the United States. Visit www.musselmanpa.com or call 610-866-3982.
Allow us the honor of being a part of your special moment.